Tuesday, May 20, 2008

RECORD REVIEWS IN 100 WORDS OR LESS*



M83
Saturdays=Youth
8.5







Things to do this summer:
  • Read at least five books
  • Work on my lats
  • Cure cancer
  • Watch all of John Hughes' eighties comedies
  • Listen to M83's Saturdays=Youth incessantly
Those last two may be one in the same. In addition to citing John Hughes as their main influence for this record, they boast songs with lyrics like this spoken word gem in the middle of "Graveyard Girl:" The cemetery is my home/I want to be a part of it/Invisible even to the night/Then I'll read poetry to the stones./Maybe one day I could be one of them.../Wise and silent./Waiting for someone to love me./Waiting for someone to kiss me./I'm fifteen years old/And I feel it's already too late to live./Don't you?

Molly Ringwald, I fucking get you.

*I've stopped counting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

work on your lats? who are you?

Senator Murphy said...

Who are YOU!?

Pop Doyle said...

I just googled lats, because apparently I learned nothing in anatomy class.

Pop Doyle said...

In an unrelated matter, the Blogger automatic spell-checker does not recognize "googled" as a word, which I thought was odd, since Blogger is, in fact, owned by Google. But then I did some research and realized that Google is attempting to limit the use of "google" as a verb in order to avoid becoming a genericized trademark. It all makes sense now.

Senator Murphy said...

Ladies and gentleman - Pop Doyle, our in house researcher, the Santa Claus of information, giving you the facts you didn't know you wanted. Kudos, sir.

Of course, now I'm going to make an even more concerted effort to use google as a verb in my every day vernacular. Get out of the way, Google! You can't stop progress!

Excuse me while I go google my breakfast.